Low Testosterone (BHRT)
Do you find yourself with any of these challenges? . . .
- Decreased sex drive (low libido) . . . “honey, I’d rather watch the football game”
- Running out of energy throughout the day . . . “I need a nap, my tank is empty”
- Difficult to reduce the fat around your waistline . . . “I’m eating like a bird and can’t lose this gut”
- Reduced muscle mass or difficult to gain muscle in the gym . . . “my workouts are awesome and I just can’t put on any muscle”
- Poor sleep quality or insomnia . . . . “I just don’t feel rested in the morning”
- Moody or depressed . . . “I just cant seem to shake these blues”
- Irritability . . . . . “why does everyone say I am getting more grouchy?”
- Testicular atrophy . . . “I swear my testicle are getting smaller”
- Cognitive decline . . . “I feel like I have brain-fog and just can’t remember things well anymore”
Diagnosing and Treating Low Testosterone
If any of these sound familiar, you may have low testosterone (hypogonadism or andropause). The reduction in the sex hormone testosterone is inevitable as we age. Testosterone begins to reduce from its peak levels starting at about 30 years old and reduces by approximately 1-2% per year. As a matter of fact, you are not alone because 40% of men over the age of 45 years old have low testosterone. We have even tested men in their early 30’s with low testosterone for various reasons. You may not even notice the symptoms because of the slow decline.
In addition to these symptoms, low levels of testosterone have been linked to other medical conditions such as insulin resistance, obesity, and diabetes. These issues can then increase cardiovascular risk. Men with diabetes and low testosterone also have higher rates of arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), leading to elevated blood pressure and even erectile dysfunction.
If any of these are a concern, we can determine if you are have low testosterone with a medical history, physical examination and simple blood test. We have several treatment options, and we conclude that you have low testosterone level; we can determine the ideal treatment for you. Please contact our medical center in Tempe to schedule an appointment.